INDIANAPOLIS (March 21, 2012) - American College of Education announces the availability of a podcast, developed in conjunction with WeAreTeachers, featuring literacy expert Dr. Louisa Moats.
The podcast, “Reading and Literacy Instruction with Dr. Louisa Moats,” highlights the critical reading and writing skills students must master to succeed in their education and in life. Dr. Moats discusses the research-based program she developed, based on years of study and observation, to help teachers combat low reading achievement. The discussion includes ways the program prepares teachers with the foundational knowledge to nurture young readers, meet the challenges of different learning styles, and prepare for the new Common Core State Standards in literacy.
Podcast speakers include:
The importance of literacy education is crucial for all students, especially in early education.
- Approximately 10 percent of children are affected by dyslexia, which impairs a person\'s fluency or comprehension accuracy in being able to read (Source: Scottish Rite Hospital for Children)
- 33 percent of fourth graders and 24 percent of eighth graders are reading a below grade level (Source: Nation’s Report Card, 2011)
- Only one-third of both fourth graders and eighth graders are reading at a proficient or advanced level (Source: Nation’s Report Card, 2011)
- The critical reading portion of the 2011 SAT college entrance exam resulted in lower scores than in previous years. (Source: College Board, 2011)
American College of Education offers a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with Concentration in Louisa Moats Literacy Instruction. The LETRS- based concentration courses include:
- Foundations of Reading Instruction: An Introduction to Scientifically-Based Reading Instruction
- Literacy Instruction: Phonology, Phonics, and Spelling
- Vocabulary, Fluency, and Comprehension in Reading Instruction
The podcast is now available at http://ace.edu/affiliations/louisa-moats/reading-literacy-podcast
About American College of Education
The mission of American College of Education is to deliver affordable, online degree programs that provide evidence-based content and relevant experiences to improve educators\' knowledge, skills and performance. American College of Education is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (HLC/NCA). www.ace.edu