Graduation and Commencement
Earning your degree is a great achievement and an important reason to celebrate. American College of Education honors our graduates with two commencement events held each year. Commencement offers a unique opportunity to meet faculty and fellow students in person while you celebrate with friends and family. We invite all graduates to join us at the next commencement ceremony.
Upcoming commencement ceremony
Recent commencement ceremonies
- Saturday, July 27, 2013, at Tinley Park Convention Center in Tinley Park, IL
- Saturday, February 16, 2013, at Disney World in Orlando, FL
- Saturday, August 4, 2012, at Navy Pier in Chicago, Illinois
- Sunday, February 19, 2012, at Disney World in Orlando, Florida
Determine graduation eligibility
All students should be aware of the criteria to graduate and evaluate their own progress for program completion.
To attain Graduate Status all students must have a Degree Audit performed after the 12th course by the Registrar's Office and:
- Be in good academic standing
- Have completed all coursework within the specified degree program with a grade point average of 3.0 or above
- Have completed all required internship hours confirmed by the Internship Review Committee
- Have completed the Capstone Experience confirmed by the Chair of the Capstone Committee with the certificate of completion of program requirements
- Have completed the specified degree program within the maximum timeframe allowed by the College
- Have no outstanding payments due
Use the Degree Map
The Degree Map feature located under the My Academics menu in MyACE Student Portal will help you evaluate how many more courses you must complete before you have met the requirements for your degree.
Confirm your diploma information
To view and update your record for accuracy, log into the MyACE Student Portal. Under "personal information," you can update your address, phone number and email.
- First and middle names may be complete or initialed, but must match your name in the student portal. Omission of first name is acceptable. Last names should match your last name exactly in the MyACE Student Portal.
- Suffixes, such as Sr., Jr., III, etc., may be used if included in the student portal and documented in the student record on the student's original application, a transcript from another school, or a Certificate of Birth.
- Hispanic maternal surnames may be included if documentation is provided to the Registrar's Office for the student record. Proper documentation is a copy of a Certificate of Birth showing the maternal surname, or on the student's original application.
- Hyphenated maiden-married last names may be used, provided the student's file and student portal have documentation to verify the names. A Personal Information Form accompanied by a Certificate of Marriage will be required if a name change has not been processed since the marriage. In all cases, verification will be based on information in the student portal and the Registrar's Office student's record and not on information provided verbally or only via emails to Student Support.
- Neither titles nor degrees previously earned will be included as part of a graduate's name on a diploma.
- A diploma may be ordered with a new name in expectation of a name change. If this is done, the diploma will not be delivered until an official Personal Information Form is provided to the Registrar's Office with supporting documentation. Any re-printing of a diploma caused by this type of order will be charged to the student.
Celebrate with Commencement
Two commencement ceremonies are held each year for all eligible graduates nationwide. Participation is optional, and you are responsible for your travel arrangements if you choose to attend.
Students who intend to participate in a commencement ceremony must be in "Graduate Status" at least eight (8) weeks prior to the date of the scheduled commencement activity.
Students are required to complete the Commencement Participation Form, and order regalia online in order to attend. Venue and detailed information will be sent to all eligible students and posted on the Commencement event page as it becomes available. Information is subject to change, so please check back regularly.
Students might be eligible for an exception based on the start date of their last course. Students must have no more than two courses outstanding at the time of commencement. Students wishing to request an exception must complete the Exception Form. Please do not make travel arrangements or order regalia before you receive approval to participate.
We invite you to join the ACE alumni community
We are proud to provide a place for you to learn about upcoming activities, read about and network with other alumni, and take advantage of the many teaching and learning resources available on the web. Visit the Alumni Association for more information.
When will I receive my diploma?
You will receive a diploma cover at commencement, but your diploma will not be included. A diploma takes up to 12 weeks to process and deliver from the date when the degree is conferred. To ensure that you get your diploma, make sure your contact information is correct at MyACE Student Portal. Diplomas will not be issued if there is a balance or hold on your account.
When will I receive a copy of my official transcript?
Upon graduation, you will receive one complimentary copy of your official transcript with a watermark indicating that it has been Issued to Student. This will be sent to you electronically via Transcripts on Demand at the primary email address you have on file with ACE within two weeks of the date upon which your degree is conferred. For an official transcript without the Issued to Student watermark to be sent to another institution, you will need to place a separate order through Transcripts on Demand. No official transcripts will be issued if there is a balance or hold on your account.
Where can I find commencement participation information?
Information about commencement is sent to eligible candidates and graduates prior to graduation.
Whom do I contact for information on degree completion?
If you have any questions about your degree completion status or your grades, contact Student Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-280-0307.
When is commencement?
Commencement is a ceremony that celebrates graduation. ACE typically holds two commencement ceremonies each year, but that can change. Watch for commencement information on the Graduation and Commencement page of the website. Additional information about commencement is sent to eligible candidates and graduates prior to graduation.
How do I request an additional copy of my transcript?
Submit the Transcript Request Form. Transcripts will not be issued if you have a balance on your account.
How can I change my name on my diploma?
Diplomas will be ordered and printed for eligible students with the name listed on your current College record. For name changes, in accordance with FERPA regulations, American College of Education will require a Change of Student Information Form to be filled out and notarized for legal documentation, provided in order to update your record. Please note the rules below regarding name changes prior to making this request. Please submit a Change of Student Information Form. Notarized copies of acceptable legal documentation must be mailed to the College address listed on the form. A diploma may be ordered with a new name in expectation of a name change. If this is done, the diploma will not be delivered until an official Request for Name Change is provided to the Registrar's Office with supporting documentation. Any cost associated with the reprinting of a diploma caused by a name change will be charged to the graduate. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com or call 1-800-280-0307.
How long does it take to award my degree?
The degree conferral process after degree completion may take up to six weeks. If all academic and financial obligations have been met, you will receive a congratulatory email from the Registrar's Office.
When will I graduate?
The College has eight graduation dates per year (and typically two commencement ceremonies each year), so your degree conferral is scheduled around those dates. Once you have completed all coursework and internship or student teaching (where applicable), your degree will be conferred by the Registrar's Office, and you will receive a congratulatory email. If a single item is missing (e.g., review of your Capstone, or payment on your account), your degree will not be conferred. The College starts the degree conferral process early with a degree audit two terms before the end of your coursework. If you stay on track with scheduled courses and submit your Capstone in plenty of time for review, then the degree conferral is completed within six weeks after completion of all requirements. Keep in mind that diplomas take longer to arrive in the mail. Capstone reviews have a due date in Week 3 of the final course, which gives the faculty committees time to evaluate your portfolio. You will have control over when you submit your portfolio, and early submissions are allowed. You can plan with your Capstone Chair to meet the deadline. In the MyACE Student Portal you will see an Anticipated Graduation Date. This date is not your official graduation date; it may reflect a projected date when you began your program but it will be adjusted when the Registrar completes a degree audit and confers your degree.
How do I receive verification of program completion for certification or endorsement from my state?
In applying for a state certification or endorsement, you may need a verification of having completed your program at ACE. Please fill out the Request for Verification Form. Students with holds on their accounts will not receive a verification.
How can I update my contact information?
To view and update your record for accuracy, log into the MyACE Student Portal. Under personal information, you will be able to update your address, phone number and email address. If you need to request a name change, you will have to submit a Change of Student Information Form, and mail it to us along with notarized supporting documentation. The Change of Student Information form is also located under Student Request Forms. Additional Information can be found on the form.
How do I know if I’ve completed all of my requirements?
The Degree Map feature located under the My Academics menu in MyACE Student Portal will help you evaluate how many more courses you must complete before you have met the requirements for your degree. Every degree program also requires completion of a Capstone experience (created in the Portfolio). You will receive a congratulatory email from the Registrar's Office once your degree has been conferred.
What if I have a question that is not answered here?
Please contact Student Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-280-0307.