Military FAQ


Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions from our military students. Please call our enrollment counselors at 1-800-280-0307 option 2 or if you have additional questions. We would love to hear from you!

  1. How do I start my educational benefits?

    Follow the steps on our Military Benefits Assistance page. For information about the types of educational benefits for which you may qualify, check out the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits page at the VA or call our enrollment counselors at 1-800-280-0307 option 2.

  2. How long does it take to begin receiving benefits after they have been initiated?

    New applicants should expect to receive their first check 8–12 weeks from the time the enrollment certification is sent. You will be paid retroactively from the date listed on your COE. Continuing students should receive checks sooner, provided there have not been any changes to your program or status. It is imperative that you notify about any changes that would affect your benefits.

  3. Are my VA educational benefits taxable?

    Contact the Internal Revenue Service and your state taxation agency for answers to this and other tax related questions.

  4. What happens to my benefits as a result of being called back to active duty for deployment?

    In most cases, your benefits will continue upon your return. Please contact the  Veteran Services Office at American College of Education for more information and check out our Military Refund policy.

  5. How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits?

    Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and REAP (Chapter 1607), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

  6. Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits?

    Students must adhere to the Academic Standards Policy of the College. Students will be terminated for VA purposes if academically suspended. ACE notifies the VA within 30 days of any change in status or failure to meet satisfactory progress. Typically, a student only has to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to remain in good academic standing, but a sudden, dramatic drop in GPA may cause academic probation.

  7. How do I find out if I have any benefits left or if I, or a family member of mine, qualify for benefits?

    Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

  8. Whom do I contact if I have questions concerning my veteran benefit payments, such as direct deposit, payment amounts, etc.?

    Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL (1-888-442-4551) or and go to 1.) Questions and Answers or 2.) Wave Account (If you have not set one up, be sure to do so).

  9. What do I need to do each term once I register for my classes?

    Please call our School Certifying Official in the Bursar's office to confirm your enrollment.

  10. Do I have to pay tuition and fees?

    Yes! With the exception of chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®, and chapter 31 VA Voc Rehab, students are responsible for their own tuition and fees. VA benefits are a monthly allotment that gets paid via check or direct deposit.

  11. I am the spouse of an active duty service member. Am I entitled to VA benefits?

    Possibly. Check the  MyCAA program as well as the GI Bill website