Bridge cultural gaps and differentiate curriculum effectively.As the fastest-growing student population, English learners need relevant curriculum and appropriate instruction. The online Certificate in Teaching English Learners program prepares you to face the challenges and opportunities of teaching these students by enhancing your knowledge of language development, cultural factors, ethics, and linguistic diversity issues.
nationally for Master's of Education graduates in ESL and Bilingual Education*
How you'll get there.
- You will take a total of six courses, exploring topics including cross-cultural studies for teaching English language learners, assessment of ESL and bilingual students, and methods and materials for teaching ESL. Each course is five weeks long, and most students take one course at a time.
- At the end of the program, you will complete a capstone course to demonstrate and document the knowledge you’ve gained throughout the program.
- If you choose to continue your education, most of the credits earned in this certificate program transfer toward our M.Ed in Teaching English Learners, M.Ed. in English as a Second Language and Bilingual Education or it can fulfill requirements toward your focus of study in one of ACE’s Ed.D. programs.
What you can expect along the way.
- Quality instruction ACE is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and we’re the #4 nationwide conferrer of M.Ed. degrees.*
- Flexible class format Our asynchronous online classes enable you to plan your coursework around your life. Each course is 5 weeks long with outlined expectations each week.
- Relevant coursework This program examines the diverse components of education that impact the English language learner. You will learn about methods and materials, assessment, advocacy, linguistics, and culture to assist non-native English speakers in a more effective and meaningful way.
- State-approved This certificate is approved by the Indiana Department of Education for adding the English Learners content area to your existing Indiana teaching license. The program is approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education as leading to the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) K-12 endorsement. Graduates seeking professional licensure/certificate additions or endorsement or related employment benefit in states other than where ACE is approved may be able to as a graduate of an HLC or state approved program. State professional licensing requirements and licensing agency information may be found here.
Start Smart and Save
Apply by August 11 and we’ll credit $50-$100 back to you for the August 23 term.
What it costs
Our tuition and fees have nothing to hide. The total cost you see is your all-in price, without hidden fees, add-ons, and even textbooks. See if you can say the same about other institutions. Go ahead — we’ll wait.
16 semester credits
x $235 per credit
$50 Application Fee
$640 Technology & Library Fee
($40 per credit)
$100 Program Conferral Fee
Total Program Cost1
Partnerships save you more.
ACE has more than 1,750 education partners that provide a discounted rate and other partner benefits.
Meet your department chair.
Tiffany Hamlett, Ph.D.
Administrative Faculty and Chair,
Department of Teaching and Learning
Quality Without Question
We are, and have always been, accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. This accreditation guarantees that our programs meet certain levels of quality standards.
Certificate in Teaching English Learners
Explore the classes you'll take to fulfill this program's 16 semester credit requirement. For more information, a complete list of requirements, and course options, see the College Catalog.
EL/BSL/TESOL Courses (16 semester credits)
The completion of an internship is not a graduation requirement for the Certificate in TEL, however American College of Education offers optional internship courses for students whose state of residence requires the same for endorsement or certification.
- A separate internship course (
) will be offered following completion of all coursework for students in states requiring an internship for endorsement or certification. EBL5101 Internship Experience for ESL and Bilingual Education
- Upon completion of the certificate in TEL, students will apply and enroll for the internship course as Students-at-Large.
- Students will be charged the current tuition rates.
State Specific Notes
- The Certificate in Teaching English Learners is approved by the Indiana Department of Education for the addition of the English Learners content area to one's existing Indiana teaching license. The addition of English learners' content to one's existing Indiana teaching license requires coursework and testing. Indiana allows the addition of certain content areas to one's existing Indiana license by taking and passing a Pearson CORE content test.
- The Certificate in Teaching English Learners is approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education as leading to the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) K-12 endorsement. The completion of an internship is a OH (TESOL) K-12 endorsement requirement. A separate internship course (
) will be offered following completion of all coursework for students requiring an internship for OH TESOL endorsement. EBL 5101 Internship Experience for ESL and Bilingual Education
Certificate in Teaching English Learners
ACE General Admission Requirements
- Complete and submit all application components including the admission application, the enrollment agreement, and the payment agreement.
- Submit the nonrefundable application fee.*
- Provide official transcripts from a regionally accredited institution indicating successful completion of the level of education required for entry to the program.**
*The application fee is valid for one year from date of submission.
**Additional evidence may be required to fulfill state requirements, including but not limited to verification of professional experience, test scores, or an interview.
Program Admission Requirements
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum grade point average cumulative 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for full admission
- Number of courses per certificate restricted
A Note About Licensure:
Students who complete certificates that are approved to lead to licensure, endorsement, or certification may be subject to additional requirements for the receipt of initial licensure, endorsement, or certification in the state in which they intend to teach or administrate.
Students are strongly encouraged to check licensure requirements in the state in which they intend to teach or administrate to determine whether they are eligible for licensure, endorsement, or certification.
It is vitally important that students know and be continually aware of the requirements for licensure in their state. State licensing requirements and licensing agency information may be found here.
1This is an estimated value of the cost for tuition and fees. Amounts may vary depending on number of transfer credits applied to the selected program hours or program pathway credit hours, the pace and satisfactory completion of the selected program or program pathway credit hours, receipt of, or eligibility for, institutional or non-institutional scholarship and/or grant amounts, and adjustments to tuition or fees as described in the Catalog Right to Modify Tuition section.
State of California Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF)
It is a state of California requirement that a student who pays his or her tuition is required to pay a state-imposed assessment fifty cents ($0.50) per one thousand dollars ($1,000) of institutional charges, rounded to the nearest thousand dollars, for the California Student Tuition Recovery Fund. For more information and to see if you must pay the state-imposed assessment for Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) click here.
For information on international transcript requirements, see the Admissions Information section of the College Catalog.
For English as a second language applicant information, see the Admissions Information section of the College Catalog.