Specialize in high-level English instruction
Our fully online M.Ed. in English Education is designed to help you acquire advanced knowledge in the field of English and literature at the secondary or college level. Understand the nuances that come with different literary forms and media. Examine the crossovers of literature, comprehension and communication within both traditional and emerging contexts. Learn how to strengthen the connection between reading and writing to help your students develop strong literacy skills.
in the nation for most master's degrees awarded in education*.
How you'll get there.
- Start with four courses focused on the core tenets of effective teaching and learning. Understand how individuals think and learn, effective learning environment design, and best practices for instruction in an online environment.
- Explore the different facets of literature and English education through seven core courses that cover everything from literary expression and analysis to literacy and research strategies.
- At the end of your program, complete a capstone experience to demonstrate your expertise in English education.
What you can expect along the way.
- Competitive Pricing We are committed to being a solution to the student debt crisis, not a contributor. With a total cost of $9,500, we provide one of the lowest cost master’s degrees in the nation. Most ACE students are able to pay out-of-pocket per course and graduate with no student debt. Explore our payment options to find the right plan for you.
- Credit Hour Requirements This program provides the 18 graduate-level credit hours** you may need in a specific content area to teach dual-credit courses or at the college level.
- Flexible Class Format Our asynchronous online courses enable you to plan your coursework around your life. Each course is five weeks long with a consistent structure, so you always know what to expect.
- Support Every Step of the Way A virtual classroom means we can provide accessible ways to access support 24/7. All ACE students have a Student Success Coach who is there to help from enrollment to graduation. They’ll answer questions, offer support and point you in the right direction on your student journey. All ACE students also have free access to 7.5 hours of tutoring each month through Tutor.com and a wealth of digital resources designed to facilitate a meaningful student experience.
- No Textbooks to Buy Say goodbye to pricey textbooks. Our robust online library provides access to your course readings, Harvard Business Cases, journals, periodicals and other resources – all included in the program’s cost. Like everything else we do, there’s built-in support as well. Our librarians are available through live chat, email, text or phone to assist in your research and obtaining non-digital documents you may need for assignments.
**The requirements for endorsement, salary increase, and related employment benefits vary from state to state and district to district and change frequently and without notice. Students are strongly encouraged to check requirements for their state or district.
What it costs
Our tuition and fees have nothing to hide. The total cost you see is your all-in price, without hidden fees, add-ons, and even textbooks. See if you can say the same about other institutions. Go ahead — we’ll wait.
11 semester credits
x $235 per credit
$50 Application Fee
$1,360 Technology & Library Fee
($40 per credit)
$100 Program Conferral Fee
Total Program Cost1
We're ready to help you get started!Request Info
On average, see how ACE compares to other online universities.
Based on information on each institution’s website as of April 9, 2020. Totals include tuition only for M.Ed. in Advanced Studies or comparable programs provided and do not include fees or associated expenses.
Partnerships save you more.
ACE has more than 1,750 education partners that provide a discounted rate and other partner benefits.
Meet your department chair.
Cathy McKay, Ed.D.
Chair, Professional Educational Studies,
Department of Professional Educational Studies
A degree you can count on.
American College of Education is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission— a federally-recognized accrediting agency. The College’s accreditation includes approval to offer degree programs, in education, healthcare, nursing and business and leadership through distance education via the Internet. Accreditation ensures that an institution’s academic program meets or exceeds acceptable levels of quality and is the most recognized accreditation status for higher education entities. To receive and maintain HLC accreditation and affiliation approval, we must continuously undergo routine peer review cycles and provide proof that our programs meet or exceed HLC accreditation criteria and expectations of quality.
M.Ed. in English Education
Explore the classes you'll take to fulfill this program's 11 semester credit requirement. For more information, a complete list of requirements, and course options, see the College Catalog.
Teaching and Learning Core Courses (12 semester credits)
Core Courses (22 semester credits)
M.Ed. in English Education
ACE General Admission Requirements
- Complete and submit all application components including the admission application, the enrollment agreement, and the payment agreement.
- Submit the nonrefundable application fee.*
- Provide official transcripts from a regionally accredited institution indicating successful completion of the level of education required for entry to the program.**
*The application fee is valid for one year from date of submission.
**Additional evidence may be required to fulfill state requirements, including but not limited to verification of professional experience, test scores, or an interview.
Program Admission Requirements
- Bachelor's or Highest Post-Baccalaureate degree earned
- Minimum Grade Point Average 2.50 on a 4.00 Scale for full admission
- Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.00 on a 4.00 Scale for Provisional Admission
- Applicants must achieve and maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout their program
A Note About Licensure:
While this program provides a comprehensive understanding of the intended program outcomes, it does not lead to licensure, certification, or endorsement. ACE offers several programs that do provide a pathway to licensure, certification, or endorsement and they can be found here.
1This is an estimated value of the cost for tuition and fees. Amounts may vary depending on number of transfer credits applied to the selected program hours or program pathway credit hours, the pace and satisfactory completion of the selected program or program pathway credit hours, receipt of, or eligibility for, institutional or non-institutional scholarship and/or grant amounts, and adjustments to tuition or fees as described in the Catalog Right to Modify Tuition section.
State of California Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF)
It is a state of California requirement that a student who pays his or her tuition is required to pay a state-imposed assessment two dollars and fifty cents ($2.50) per one thousand dollars ($1,000) of institutional charges, rounded to the nearest thousand dollars, for the California Student Tuition Recovery Fund. For more information and to see if you must pay the state-imposed assessment for Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) click here.
For information on international transcript requirements, see the Admissions Information section of the College Catalog.
For English as a second language applicant information, see the Admissions Information section of the College Catalog.
Take the first step towards your future.
It's easy to get started and we'll help you every step of the way!